Time: 6:45am 18th May 2007
Location: From my sleeping bag at Everest Base Camp
Weather: Looks like a clear day so far.
I just spoke with Paul on the radio and he is now leaving Camp 1 and heading for Camp 2. He wanted to thank everyone for all the messages yesterday – he is receiving them when he’s at the high camps.
He and Attila had just finished a breakfast of porridge with chocolate in it! He told me that they had about 10-15cm of snow overnight up there (only about 3cm here at basecamp) so finding the route may be a little tricky as they make their way up through the Western Cwm.
We also received an updated weather forecast last night which indicated that there may be a change coming through on Monday along with stronger winds. This is not good news and we’re not too sure what to do about it yet but figure we’ll reassess once we get today’s forecast in. If necessary, Paul may have to sit at Camp 2 until another patch of good weather comes through (like we did last year).
That’s all for now. Will let you know when he arrives at Camp 2.