Location: Camp 2
Local Time: 17:00, May 18
Weather: Clear in the morning, windy in the afternoon, min -12C
Hi all, It’s Paul here.
We woke this morning to news that several members of the IMG team have summited, along with some Sherpas. This was extremely uplifting for us at C2 and very exciting. To read more about it go to the IMG web site.
Resting and getting ready at C2
Last night we got a really good sleep at C2, and we slept in to 10am! This was a good sign of our acclimatisation progress as I hadn’t had a good night sleep at C2 yet. We have been trying hard to rehydrate ourselves, as well as eat lots. This afternoon we have packed up our gear ready for our 5am planned departure for C3 tomorrow.
The weather forecast isn’t so good, with higher winds predicted on May 20/21, which is right when we are planning to summit. There is also a forecast for more snow. The forecast for the period following is for increasing winds as well. We are hoping that we can just sneak the summit in before the weather turns sour.
Thanks for everyone’s messages of support and encouragement – you don’t know how helpful they are to us.
All messages for Den have been passed on.
John C, We have vacuum flasks for keeping our liquids from freezing.
Hi Joseph Acero, We have 2 digital cameras and a video camera with us. We plan to leave at 9pm from the South Col.
Hi Mal, It will be interesting to see how we fare in the races when we get back home. I would guess not too good as the muscles have deteriorated!!
Hi Jill U, I have heard that most things left by people on the summit get blown away with the jetstream winds.
Hi Paula & Steve, We feel confident that we are physically ready, but we just need the weather gods to look favourably on us. As I write this the wind is picking up! Hopefully it blows itself out by the time we are there.
Hi Lou & Chris, Yes we have the 4 leaf clover inside Fiona’s pack.
Hi Kyna & Mal, Great to hear your news. Congratulations.
Hi Liz, I would say most climbers are in their 40’s and 50’s. If we return to C4 with plenty of time and still feel good, we will descend to C3 or even C2. Otherwise we’ll stay at C4 for the night.
Hi Tahlia & Paige – thanks for writing.
To everyone else that left messages, thank you very much.
You can visit the IMG site mentioned above here http://www.mountainguides.com/everest06/everest06.html