Local time: 20 May, 19:50
Location: Camp 2
Weather: Warm, little snow
Hi it’s Paul at camp 2. Today was an exciting day, because two of our team members summited.
We switched on our radio at 5am to hear that Dirk and Steve had just reached the summit of Mt. Everest. They took only 8 hours from the South Col, which is a great time. It was Dirk’s third attempt, so understandably he was extremely happy. They were back at South Col around 10am and after a rest headed down to C2, where we had a big welcome waiting for them.
Rudi and Ravi also tried last night. Rudi was climbing without oxygen and he turned around below the Balcony. Ravi felt cold, and made a wise decision not to leave the South Col. All are back safely at C2.
Meagan headed up to C4 today, taking only 4 hours to go from C3 to C4, arriving at 9:30 am. She is really strong. Assuming the weather holds, she will leave around 10:30 tonight for the summit.
Attila and I spent today checking gear. I learnt today that Asian Trekking have provided me with a brand new regulator. I am really grateful. So I will have two masks and two regulators with me this time.
We are really excited to be going up – I can’t describe how positive the atmosphere is here at C2 – everyone is really happy.
The weather report was great for 22/23, so we are looking great on that front.
Hi Steve B, Thanks a lot for letting people know about the climb and our website.
Hi Rose, It is a lot of effort going from C1 to C2, but I think if you have done the training and your health is good, then it’s not too hard, and you recover quickly.
Hi Moraima, Hope you like the shot I look last night – before I saw your message. I must have been reading your mind!
Hi MC, The weather forecast has improved for Meagan, and looking out the tent it looks great. Perhaps Nick might want to post a small summary of the weather details we are seeing, so you can see what we are making our decisions on.
Hi Lou, We are off tomorrow morning.
Hi JB, Are you sure that’s the date that Hillary and Tenzing summited? I might be getting affected by the altitude, but I thought it was May 31, 1953.
Hi Chris and Bridge, Looking forward to reading the book when I get back.
Hopefully I’ll be coming to you from C3 tomorrow.